Installation of Natlink/Vocola 2/Unimacro Experimental Release with Python 3
Vocola and Unimacro work well on the development branch but you are may come across the odd bug.
(-Download and install the latest 3.8 32-bit Python from Python 3.8 latest version: Note there is now a Python 3.9 version, but please stick to 3.8.
(Select "Add to path" install option, and "Install FOR ALL USERS". Save
yourself some grief and install it at the root of your c: drive, like c:\python38-32). If you already have a python 3.7 32 bit installation you can use that.
(At this time, do not create a https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/venv.html Virtual Environment. They do not work with Natlink.)
- Packages are now all in the dictation-toolbox in github. For packages that are not packaged for a pip install,
we recommend cloning the wanted repositories in one base directory, for example C:\DT
Instructions below install the source from GIT. Select a folder to host your natlink, unimacro, dragonfly, etc. Below the example is C:\DT but it can be anything.
- Exit dragon
- Download the source from GIT
- git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:dictation-toolbox/natlink.git (In your preferred directory eg C:\DT\Natlink. We will assume C:\DT in the instructions below. )
- If you want Unimacro: git clone email@example.com:dictation-toolbox/unimacro.git (into C:\DT\Unimacro)
- If you want Vocola: git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:dictation-toolbox/vocola2.git (into C:\DT\Vocola) (Vocola2 being the Vocola version for Dragon/Natlink)
- If you want the development branch of Dragonfly and Caster, clone from their git repositories. Otherwise install them using pip (see below).
- Install the python package prequisistes:
- Start menu -> cmd (Command prompt) and Run as administrator). Powershell also will work.
- Change directory to C:\DT\Natlink\ConfigureNatlink
- This will install the python prerequisites for natlink, vocola, and unimacro: pip install -r requirements.txt
- This will instal the prerequisites for caster and dragonfly. You can skip this when you install those with pip:
pip install -r caster_requirements.txt
Main install instructions, targeted to Caster (as given by LexiconCode):
- When you have no Command prompt yet: Start menu -> cmd (Command prompt) -> Run as Administrator
- Probably you can now go to: cd C:\DT\Natlink\ConfigureNatlink and run start_configurenatlink.py, by typing python start_configurenatlink.py.
- In the config GUI:
- Click enable Natlink
- Click enable UserDirectory
- Choose Caster directory as user directory
- Quit the GUI
- When the wxpython GUI window doesn't want to start: run the script natlinkconfigfunctions.py by typing python natlinkconfigfunctions.py (when you are already in elevated mode) or python start_natlinkconfigfunctions.py (elevation is asked for).
- In the natlinkconfigfunctions:
- press e (enable Natlink)
- sometimes you need r (reregister Natlink)
- press n caster_directory for enabling the UserDirectory and setting it to the Caster directory
- press q to quit
- Then restart dragon
- In some rare cases a reboot is required.
Vocola and Unimacro:
- In the config GUI or natlinkconfigfunctions.py (CLI) enable these packages. (With the CLI, type u for Usage).