Installation of Natlink/Vocola 2/Unimacro
Release 4.1victor (April 24, 2018):
- Download release 4.1victor.
- Some changes in the configure program.
- Works with Dragon 15, and also earlier versions.
- Works with Python 2.7.
- Use of Python 2.6 and before is discouraged, but for version 14 and lower, Python 2.6 still works.
- Earlier versions of Natlink are still found on SourceForge.
Next video is a bit outdated, but it gives an impression of the installation procedure:
- Download Python 2.7.14, needed for Natlink.
- This is a self-extracting zip file, with extension .exe.
- This is nearly the latest release of python 2.7.
- Run the self-extracting executable to unzip the installers to a temporary folder.
- Go to this temporary folder, and read for more details the README.txt file.
- Install Python2.7.14.msi (for all users, which is the default)
- Install the windows extensions (pywin32)
- Install wxPython.
- This can also, and even better, be done with the python utility pip. See the README.txt.
- Warning: Natlink does not work when you install a "64 bit" python version, so the .exe file you downloaded contains the 32-bit version.
- Note: If you prefer the zip file, in case the exe file gives trouble, use: Python 2.7.14 for Natlink, zip file
Download and install Natlink/Vocola 2/Unimacro
- Download the combined installer as given above.of
- Run the downloaded file.
- Install on C:\Natlink (or D:\Natlink or any other drive of your choice). Installing in "C:\Program files\Natlink" is NOT advised.
Directory layout after installation
When you installed at C:\Natlink you will get the following directory structure:
- Natlink and Vocola 2 are in C:\Natlink\Natlink,
- Unimacro is in C:\Natlink\Unimacro
- User defined grammars can be in any location, for example C:\NatlinkUserDirectory or C:\Natlink\UserDirectory.
- You can put your Dragonfly grammar files, python files, in this directory.
- Dragonfly should be installed separately.
- The core directory is C:\Natlink\Natlink\MacroSystem\core (the "controlling" Natlink files are located here)
- Internally the compiled Vocola 2 files will go in C:\Natlink\Natlink\MacroSystem.
- This is the baseDirectory of Natlink.
- Do not put anything else in this directory, although it will not prevent Natlink from functioning.
- In case you cannot find your configuration program (the GUI): it is located in C:\Natlink\Natlink\confignatlinkvocolaunimacro.
- The configuration (GUI) program is the file "configurenatlink.pyw".
- In order to run elevated mode, you should start the script start_configurenatlink.py in the same directory.
- Elevated mode is only needed the first time you run the configure program, and when you want to enable/disable Natlink or when you want to unregister or (re)register natlink.pyd.
- But... it does no harm to always start the config program in elevated mode.